10 Tips to Prepare Your Pet for a Hurricane
Prepared for a Hurricane?
Do you have everything you need for your dog or cat in case of a hurricane or other disaster?
Remember these important items:
- Recent photos of your pets (in case you are separated and need to make "Lost" posters)
- 3-7 days' worth of canned (pop-top) or dry food along with feeding dishes and plenty of water
- Secured collar with up-to-date ID tags containing accurate information such as name and phone number
- Photocopies of medical records and a waterproof container with a two-week supply of any medicine your pet requires
- Disposable garbage bags for clean-up
- Toys to keep your pet entertained. This will save your pet’s sanity as well as your own!
Pet Evacuation Tips
If you receive an evacuation order, act quickly and leave as soon as possible with your pets and remember these tips:
- Take a crate that is big enough for your pet to stand up and lie down comfortably. A crate can also help your pet feel secure and protected in a new location.
- Call ahead to your evacuation location to ensure they accept pets.
- Take plenty of towels for drying your pet (and yourself).
- Drive carefully - getting to your destination safely is your most important task!